Sight Action has employed a Volunteer Co-ordinator since 2009 and since that time the volunteers have increasingly played a crucial role in the organisation.
Do you want to:
- Feel good about yourself?
- Meet new people and make more friends?
- Give help and support to make our communities a better place?
- Gain skills and experience and improve your CV?
Volunteering Q & A
Why do people volunteer?
People volunteer for lots of different reasons and there is not a wrong or a right answer to this but these are just some of the reasons:
- Meet new people
- Make new friends
- Provide help and support to people
- Get involved in the community
- Gain new skills and experiences
- Update your CV
- Feel better about yourself. Volunteering can improve your health.
What will I get out of volunteering?
You will learn new things, develop your skills and gain valuable work experience. It is also a fun way to make friends, build your confidence and help other people.
What skills do I need to volunteer?
This really depends on what you do with us.
Who can volunteer?
Anyone aged 16 or over can apply to volunteer with us.
How much time do I have to give as a volunteer?
Sight Action has a number of different opportunities which vary in the amount of time that volunteers are required to give. These range from a couple of hours a month to a regular fortnightly commitment required from volunteers who train as befrienders.
Do you offer training to volunteers?
- All the volunteers have to attend an induction morning with the Co-ordinator and then attend a session on Visual Awareness.
- Sighted Guiding is also provided for volunteers who are going to work with service users on a one to one basis.
- If Befriending is your chosen opportunity there are 5 workbooks which people are asked to work through at home.
- Sight Action also offers First Aid training on a bi-annual basis
- Midas training for the drivers who use the minibus.
- On occasion hearing aid maintenance training is provided
- Other sessions are made available to volunteers during their time with us.
Will it cost me anything to volunteer?
- Volunteers should not be out of pocket when they work with us and all reasonable expenses are reimbursed. We pay 0.45p per mile to car owners and all bus/train fares are also covered on production of tickets.
- You will be provided with copies of the Time and Expenses claim form in your handbook when you attend your induction course.
- Helping with I.T
- Sighted Guide
- Talking Book service
- Handy Person
- Support group assistance
- Promotional Work